Suddenly you have an intense, hot feeling on your face and upper body, often accompanied by a rapid heartbeat and sweating, giddiness, nausea, anxiety, headache, weakness, and, most awfully, a feeling of suffocation.
Some women experience an “aura,” an uneasy feeling just before the hot flash. My mother used to “smell heat”. This is when the arguments for HRT appear. Should you take (chemical or natural) estrogen to alleviate them?
Tips to beat the Hot Flash Flush
Firstly, don’t fight the flush, you have to ride with it. Try to relax if you can.Get help for bad habits. Talk with your healthcare advisor about support for beating smoking.
- Cut down on coffee and strong stimulants.
- Avoid spicy foods
- Eat smaller meals more often to avoid the heat generated by digesting large amounts of food.
- Try adding horseradish to your diet.
- Apple cider vinegar. Some women find relief from a glass each morning with honey
- Fan Get some little hand fans for your purse.
- Keep ice water to sip to cool down your insides
- Carry moist tissues, baby wipes, to freshen up after a flush.
- Carry sprays to help lower your skin temperature
- Open your freezer and stick your head in for a minute.
- Practice deep-breathing and relaxation techniques.
- Dress in layers
- Throw away your turtlenecks and fitted collars
- Wear cotton pajamas or a nightgown. Nighties are easier to change than sheets.
- Use cotton sheets only, not synthetics.
- Take a cool shower before bed.
- Keep a cool gel pack under your pillow at night so that you can turn the pillow over for a cool effect
- Keep a hand towel by your pillow to wipe the perspiration from your neck
- Get a bigger bed if you and your partner are on different heat planets but you still want to stay in close orbit.
- Tell yourself, out loud, that this is a temporary symptom
- Keep your sense of humour
Color Me Beautiful Revolution Over 40 Cool It Body Spray to ease tension and hot flashes with a cooling, refreshing mist infused with lavender, geranium and cypress essential oils. Helps you feel cool, calm and collected.